Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dinner & A Workout - New Series

I'm sure everyone goes through this, I know I sure do. I plan my meals around my training schedule. If there isn't enough time in the evening then its frozen burritos or if its a short recovery run its a taco bar with the works. Here was the issue I was faced with yesterday. On Monday I did my usual grocery shopping and picked up some sockeye salmon, acorn squash, and cauliflower. Problem was I had late night masters swimming Tuesday, a long bike/run Wednesday, and a long swim Thursday evening. When was I going to find time to cook the fish before it spoiled? While at work the entire planning began - How I will get in my workout and prepare a nice dinner for Hubby! This is where Dinner & A Workout began. I hope weekly I can blog my crazy and insane way of how to prepare a meal while also get in a good workout.


Here we GO!

Workout: 2hr bike with intervals, 2 mile Run-off
Dinner:
Soy Glazed Sockeye Salmon, Cranberry Walnut Acorn Squash, Cauliflower Mash

Began when I arrived home from work
  • Prepare Soy Marinade in plastic baggie or container-Place fish in Marinade and set in fridge
  • Change into biking attire and set bike on trainer-Begin Bike workout
  • Bike workout ends-Preheat oven to 350
  • Change into Running Clothes-Fill bottom of baking pan with H2o, cut acorn squash in half, place in pan, place pan in oven, set timer for 30 mins
  • Leave for run (don't worry Hubby was home to watch the oven)-Run to whole foods 1 mile away
  • Pick up Vegetable Broth (smallest container) and Goat Cheese-Run Home
  • Preheat Grill (Hubby helped)-Steam Cauliflower
  • Place Fish on Grill-Remove Cauliflower from microwave and mash with remainder of ingredients
  • Remove Squash from oven-Place Squash on plate and top with Agave Nectar, Walnuts, dried Cranberries, and Goat Cheese
  • Remove Fish from Grill-Plate up everything else
  • HUZZA!!!!

Recipes
Soy Glazed Salmon
2T EVOO
1T Dark Brown Sugar
2T Balsamic Vinegar
2T Low Sodium Soy
1T Honey
Grill Flesh Down 4 mins
Flip and Grill Skin Down 7 mins

Cauliflower Mash
1 Head Cauliflower
1t minced Garlic
1T Butter
Dash of Garlic Powder
Dash of S&P
1/2 c Veg Broth

No comments: